Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Cooleen and Brian's Starscapes

These are a series of four paintings I did for my friends Cooleen and Brian for their wedding. First off, I found their horoscope signs, Taurus and Libra, and found the appropriate star systems, The Bull, and The Scales. I then found the star systems' locations in the sky, as you can see in the full picture of the four squares together on back of I. So I transferred the sky onto four connecting canvases, with The Scales on the far left one (I), and The Bull on the far right (IV), with II and III falling in between. I then just drew horizontal and vertical lines to either connect the stars or just carried them off the page, and I painted the resulting rectangles in browns and blues, trying to limit my palette to be less confusing and loud. I included pictures of the basis in the sky on the back of each painting to better place them, as well as the two systems drawn into their respective placements. This is more of an ephemeral piece than I've really done recently, and it was really fun to do, break out of the traditional and do something a little more abstract.



I
12" x 12"
Oil on Canvas



II
12" x 12"
Oil on Canvas


III
12" x 12"
Oil on Canvas



IV
12" x 12"
Oil on Canvas


This is the back of I. I pasted the actual sky on the back of each piece to better see them. The four squares connected at the bottom is the area in the sky from which these paintings are taken so as to be able to see the physical connection between the two signs.

1 comment:

  1. I like the back more than the front because i just love stars and your signature is killer. great idea!

    ReplyDelete