Monday, January 25, 2010

Older Paintings

Here are a couple paintings I completed in 2008.

The first derived from a picture I took while on a family vacation in Hawaii in December of 2007. We went on a Mai Thai Cruise, drank, and boated around the island. I got a few okay pictures, but I thought this one was the most intriguing. As we were on a boat, none of the pictures were in focus, all were blurred to some extant. This blur was the most appealing to me. So I took the buildings as they were, simplified them even more, reflecting the shapes that had come through in the picture, and focused most of my attention on the sky. That took the most time to feel complete. I've found that when I work from pictures, I reach a point where the picture cannot reflect what I want to accomplish in the painting, so I got rid of the picture and painted the sky.


Hawaii at Night
Acrylic on Canvas
48" x 36"


This second one was taken from a Robert Mapplethorpe image of Marcel Duchamp's Fountain. Fountain is one of my favorite pieces of art. In order to show my admiration for Duchamp (as well as Warhol, as obviously seen in the repetition and even the color palette), I painted a portrait of his piece. It was extraordinarily fun to do, morphed gradually from my original intention to my end product, but I am quite pleased with how it turned out.


37 Fountains
Acrylic on Canvas
24" x 36"

No comments:

Post a Comment