Monday, January 25, 2010

Sculpture

So I noticed all of posts so far have been 2D pieces. As quite a few of the pieces that I've done are 3D, I thought I ought to post some sculptures that I've done.


Letters Chandelier (for Hannah)
Dimensions variable- approximately 18" x 18"
Plastic, magnets, wire, glue, wires, and lights

This is a chandelier I did for my friend Hannah in 2009. The idea began with hers and some of mine magnet letters (from our childhood, the letters you put on the fridge to help your alphabet and spelling kids). She had asked me to do something with the letters, and I decided that a chandelier would be the most interesting thing to do with them. I began with a wire armature and glued the letters around it, leaving a large enough hole at the top to put in lights and attach a hook with which to hang the chandelier. I filled the sculpture with clear christmas lights, as they would be the easiest to change if they burn out. I made a hook and attached it to the top so the sculpture could be hung. I am extremely extremely pleased with it and I believe she is too.



Untitled
approximately 24" x 24"
Wood, stain, and glue

This sculpture is a wood relief that I created in 2008. It began with a square wall relief that I had sketched out a while ago (which I still may do at some point in the future), and morphed into circles. They then acquired gaps, pegs, and holes to add more interest to the piece as a whole. The final shape was more chance than I like to put in my pieces. Since I couldn't lay the pieces exactly as I sketched them out, I put them in a general arrangement and they became what is shown as I glued them together. I am quite enamored with the piece and gave it to my brother, Rob.

No comments:

Post a Comment