Friday, January 8, 2010

Serigraphy

I guess I'll keep with my prints for now. These are the three Screen Prints I did this semester. They are in the ocean vein as my first two.


"Waterfall"
8" x 6"

This one is based off a waterfall picture that my brother took while he was in Hawaii. He spent this semester in Hawaii and took a bunch of beautiful pictures. I found one I liked of a waterfall, traced it, and reduced it to four colors: white, light green, evergreen, and cerulean blue. I then copied each color's outline onto a screen and painted each in with screen filler. It was pretty time consuming, but I really like the effect that the hand-done screen filler gave to the crab and wanted to repeat that. It was the fourth print that I did over the course of the semester.

"Crab"
7" x 5"

This is pretty much what's showing. A three color screen print, hand-done screen filler like the waterfall. It was fun to do, and turned out fairly well.

"Intergalactic Squid I"
9" x 14"

I tried something really different with this one in terms of my theme. Instead of visually depicting some ocean-related thing, I looked at a number of old movie posters and Japanese movie posters related to monsters. I collected images from the web and assembled them into my poster. I then deduced it down to 4 colors and the background and transferred those individually on my screen and printed them, in order, cerulean blue, yellow, evergreen, and red. It didn't turn out as perfect as I would have liked and would maybe try it again at some point with more detail, but I think it still works and recalls the posters that I used as inspiration.

1 comment: